The Strength of Weak Ties

Everyone participates. Everyone contributes. Leveraging the power of digital networks to connect people, resources and ideas to drive creativity and innovation forward...and actually accomplish something!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

As We May See

The power of a digital story is that different viewers see different things. Such is the case with any kind of visual image, from a painting to a photograph. Such is the case with the actions of individuals-different people look at the actions of an individual, and interpret those actions through their goggles, their perspective...

So, when I saw that a highly respected blogger had posted 69 PowerPoint files to Slideshare, I wanted to know why. As expected, many of these PowerPoints deal with Web 2.0, networks, and e-learning among others.

Now, if I were to use the conjecture and generalization goggles used in this post, I might come to the conclusion that this individual wanted to be the voice of Web 2.0, and that attempts by others to have a voice might be met with an extremely aggressive response. I might also think that this person was interested in his viewpoint only, and wished to silence or intimidate others. I might also think that this person was a tireless self-promoter. 69 Powerpoints?

But if I took off the goggles, and viewed this with clear eyes, honest eyes, I might suggest that this person has some good things to say, and that this person had much to offer, and that we all could learn from this person. I might look at the actions of this individual as what they were-an honest attempt to share knowledge. I would avoid looking for things that were just not there....

Yes, I'm not over this. But this helps, doesn't it?

1 Comments:

  • At 11:57 PM , Blogger Wesley Fryer said...

    Well, for what it's worth you have my official encouragement to "get over it!" I think the hubub here confirms that we're not in an echo chamber, and that is good. We need and should want diverse voices to speak out, even and perhaps especially ones we disagree with and challenge us and our ways of thinking. It's an unfortunate tendency (I definitely follow it often) that we can spend an unjustfied large amount of time focusing on criticisms of our work-- I think it is valuable to face criticisms, however, if they cause us to really listen, reflect, and consider if indeed what we are doing and saying is in line with our beliefs and contentions. I guess contrary voices can encourage us to ask ourselves, "Are you really sure about that? And are you really sure you are who you say you are?" These are good questions for our age of requisite media literacy. Not pleasant to answer at times perhaps, and not fun to do.... but I think we can still find value in the experience, even if it was/is not particularly enjoyable.

    Blog on, David! Your voice continues to be heard and attract the attention of many-- and in our era of proliferating voices and information sources, that is high praise! It is a sign that many consider you digitally relevant. I certainly do! :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home